Saturday, August 12, 2017

Rustic Elegance Leftovers Become Cards

A Country Craft Creations Design Team Project

I'm a card maker through and through and I've found that if I keep the mess on my crafty table after I complete a project I'm much more apt to use those scraps up into something production, like a dozen cards.  It's so wonderful not to put a bag of leftovers away and the double bonus is being able to go to my card bin and have more cards to choose from.  Today I'm using the leftovers from Carta Bella's Rustic Elegance collection which primarily had been used to create my Rustic Country Wedding Mini.


When I do cards like this I'm using up various sizes of paper scraps, stickers, cut aparts etc.  Little snippets of seam binding and twine.  It doesn't take much to make an A2 card (4 1/4" x 5 1/2").  I even managed to keep a few flat so it doesn't cost the bank to post them in the old fashioned mail.


I used one of  wooden cuts I'd won from Creative Embellishments a while back.  This squiggly heart was perfect one I added a coat of Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam in Rustic.  The LOVE is an unbranded die repeatedly cut, once with the top decorative paper and several times with the card base paper.  I offset the colored paper to make it appear as a shadow.


This was one of my favorite outcomes.  I rotated the card base so it's portrait and opens from the top. I've simply taken 5 scraps of paper, a piece of sisal twine, a scrap of burlap along with a sentiment and charm.  Comes together pretty good wouldn't you say?


There are twelve cards in today's set.  I'm not going to share them all on the blog but the video (link at the bottom of the post) will have a complete walk though of all the cards plus lots more still photos. Here I've used a Kraft card base sprayed with Glimmer Mists over a chicken wire stencil. Leftover bits and bobs from the paper collection pull it all together into a great Birthday card.


I did want to mention one more trick I often use when gluing multiple layers onto a card I'm wanting to keep fairly flat. Once all the layers are down I open my card flat and run it through the two plates of my Big Shot.  I'm not embossing anything rather using the plates to firmly press the layers together and keep it from buckling from the glue.  Give it a try it works great.

I hope you'll join me on the video and let me know what you think of my leftovers.


Please visit Country Craft Creations here -
you can also join the Facebook group
Scrapbookers of Country Craft Creations here - http://tinyurl.com/zhess6s
Or Coffee Talk page here - http://tinyurl.com/y8byhnel

Visit me at A Soul's Heartbeat on

2 comments:

cdm317 said...

Very pretty cards!

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

Patti I LOVE these cards! You are so talented and it's ingenious how you used all the scraps! Loved your video and wanted to comment there but decided I'd comment on your blog instead. And that tip for flattening your cards by running it through the Big shot? wow.. thank you... a great idea. That paper is so so gorgeous, I just HAVE to get me some.. rustic elegance.... perfect description for the paper and for my style (and yours too!). Take care.... Marilyn